Saturday, January 19, 2008

Could this be the end of Spi....., um, Thompson?

This campaign has been fascinating to follow, in my opinion. We have seen the rise and fall of Rudy, the Huckabee surge, and the McCain takeover. One of the most interesting things to me, however, is the fate of Senator Thompson.

His campaign started as him being the 'chosen one'. The Christian Evangelicals didn't see what they liked in Romney or McCain, and they wanted another Reagan. So, Fred, after much deliberation and soaring polls rather grudgingly gave in and announced his candidacy.

 Through most of his campaign, there has been rather little fire or passion coming from Thompson. It seemed as though he expected that the conservative right would just to line up behind him and take him all the way to the white house. And this might have worked, except for one thing: Huckabee. 

With the Huckabee surge Fred has found out that he is actually going to have to fight for the nomination, and it hasn't been easy. After loosing Iowa, Fred has been scrambling for votes.  As of now, he has been spending all of his campaigning time South Carolina for some weeks and has left Michigan, North Carolina, and Wyoming virtually uncontested. Even with intense campaigning, he is now ranking only fourth place in the polls, well behind McCain and Huckabee. 

If Fred doesn't win tonight in either Nevada or South Carolina, it is going to be the end of the road for him. I hope that he will drop out of the race before Super Tuesday. He will have virtually no chance at winning anything, and the conservative votes that he would be taking up would probably go to Huckabee, where could use them in his race against McCain. 

Sorry Fred, go home, make some fried chicken, and watch Law and Order. It's a friendlier world there than the one you are in. 

7 comments:

Stephen Bittner said...

I fully agree - solid conservative Christians who are looking for a candidate with good moral values are wasting their votes of Fred when they could be supporting a better cause. GO ROMNEY!

SamuelY said...

To each, his own.
I have no comment.

Melissa said...

Okay Sam, I've known all along that Fred Thompson wouldn't do much because he is kinda a dud.... what he says is good he just dosen't say enough of it !!! But what about Ron Pual ?!?!? He is a dud too !!!! You can't deny that fact !!

Melissa

PS I still would support Fred if he had a chance but he doesn't so I'm with Stephen Go Romney !! And no I am not supporting Romney because the Bittners do !!!!!!!!!

SamuelY said...

Wow, I'm sorry to put you into a rant :^). I wouldn't say that Ron Paul is a dud in the strictest sense. Ron Paul has very consistently taken around 10% of the vote in most of the states. He even took second place in Nevada! The fact is that Ron Paul has impacted politics in a way that will be remembered for a long time:
A) Ron Paul has taken and ran with the idea of internet campaigning. In future elections, newspapers will need to give a much fairer plain to candidates, (not just the ones they like), because we will hear about the other candidates anyway, causing them to look bad about not mentioning them!
B) Ron Paul has shown that there is still a substantial support for bringing this country back to the constitution and out of entangling foreign relationships. A consistent 10% of the vote and a nineteen million fourth quarter fundraising total can't be overlooked and I can be sure that in future elections there will be candidates that will be catering to the constitutionalist right.
C) Ron Paul has shown the American people ideas that they haven't heard in a long time. Ideas like downsizing government, eliminating the IRS and replacing it with NOTHING!!!, and staying out of international policing. If nothing else, I would say that Ron Paul's campaign has been a success just to hear these (constitutional) principals being proclaimed from national news stations!!!

Do I think he could be elected? Yes
Do I think he will be elected? No
Do I think his campaign has been a success? Absolutely!!!
It will be a while before the political world forgets the revolutionary campaign of Dr. Ron Paul.

Melissa said...

Sam, just for future reference, that wasn't a "rant" and I didn't agree with anything you just said...except for *Do I think he will be elected? No*. You are obviously hopeless so there is no point on carrying on a debate in a blog comments section.

If you want to keep debating e-mail me !

Melissa
PS I'm not giving up !

Oh and Ron Paul did not have "a consistent 10% of the vote" !

Stephen Bittner said...

Sam - It is my opinion that Ron Paul is a good candidate, but he won't be elected because he doesn't have enough support. He is against CAFTA/NAFTA (thats why the New American loves him) is aginst government agencies including the FBI, the CIA, HLS, DHS, the military, ect. But these are all good tools that are improperly used and/or are given too much power. You must admit that each has a good side, when used in proportion. Removal of all of these agencies is not the best solution - it would be best to limit their massive power.

SamuelY said...

I think we are getting off topic here, but I'll go along :^). You are making a very large unproven statement here, Stephen: Ron Paul wants to disband all of these agencies. This is simply untrue, Ron Paul wishes to significantly downsize most of the agencies you sited, but remove and disband them? No.
The only agencies, to my knowledge, that Ron Paul would have us disband are the IRS and the Federal Reserve. You will need to prove to me that any other agencies are on the chopping block.