I personally believe that the War for Southern Independence was constitutional, but it is debatable.
Pop quiz back to you: Even if the War for Southern Independence was constitutional, was it moral in light of Romans 13 as the Southern states were not "submitting to the authorities"?
It is most definitely debatable. The south, in a sense, was invaded. By putting it that way, it becomes a fight for mere survival. Although, Rom. 13 clearly states that "there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God;...." in that case, I have to digest it some more and mull it over in my head!!!
Now, was the Civil war avoidable? By all means! It could have played out politically in the Senate and the House. But the southern states didn't want to wait for a political battle, that they more than likely would have lost, and went ahead and seceded. Lincoln didn't have to wage war against those states. He could have sought common ground and ended the potential struggle without the loss of life. But not only were his actions warlike, they were un-constituitional. He, personally, mustered 75,000 militiamen, opened the doors of the treasury to pay for the armament of citizens, and jailed Americans who would dare speak out against his movements all without the consent of the Congress. If that is not the actions of a despot, then I don't know what is. I believe that if Lincoln sought unity, and agreed to let the states decide for themselves, the lives of many Americans would've been saved.
Yes, but I'm not talking about the war itself, at that point the Confederate States of America were their own separate country and were fighting a defensive war. (In my opinion anyway). My question is whether the very act of secession was a violation of Rom. 13. Even though it was arguably legal, was it moral?
I am a right leaning constitutionalist libertarian, an 1855 historical reenactor, a Calvinistic Baptist, the oldest of eleven, and a full time student. My birthday is in January (I want cookies), I am a Mac lover, I'd wear flannel shirts every day of the year if I could, I usually have four knife blades on me at any given moment, and I live on a thirty acre farm where we airsoft on occasion. My favorite color is red, I drive a red Chevy Aveo and a Dodge Sprinter van (the big one), I never go outside without a hat, and I love apple juice and have never had coffee. I SCUBA dive on occasion, play the piano, have a very messy desk, and get up every morning at 7:30.
Everybody happy now?
I need some apple juice.
7 comments:
Hey ! You stole that from me !! I just posted it on my blog !!! It's okay though.... spread the word ! :) Pop quiz was the CW constitutional ??
Sorry, I didn't see that on your blog.
I personally believe that the War for Southern Independence was constitutional, but it is debatable.
Pop quiz back to you: Even if the War for Southern Independence was constitutional, was it moral in light of Romans 13 as the Southern states were not "submitting to the authorities"?
It is most definitely debatable. The south, in a sense, was invaded. By putting it that way, it becomes a fight for mere survival. Although, Rom. 13 clearly states that "there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God;...." in that case, I have to digest it some more and mull it over in my head!!!
Now, was the Civil war avoidable? By all means! It could have played out politically in the Senate and the House. But the southern states didn't want to wait for a political battle, that they more than likely would have lost, and went ahead and seceded. Lincoln didn't have to wage war against those states. He could have sought common ground and ended the potential struggle without the loss of life. But not only were his actions warlike, they were un-constituitional. He, personally, mustered 75,000 militiamen, opened the doors of the treasury to pay for the armament of citizens, and jailed Americans who would dare speak out against his movements all without the consent of the Congress. If that is not the actions of a despot, then I don't know what is. I believe that if Lincoln sought unity, and agreed to let the states decide for themselves, the lives of many Americans would've been saved.
Nope it wasn't ! Abe Lincoln declared war and started forming a militia with out congress declaring war !
No it wasn't biblical either !!
I think it was moral. They were invaded, and had the right to fight for their existence.
Yes, but I'm not talking about the war itself, at that point the Confederate States of America were their own separate country and were fighting a defensive war. (In my opinion anyway). My question is whether the very act of secession was a violation of Rom. 13. Even though it was arguably legal, was it moral?
You know what I think?... I think the videos are funny. ;-)
-Graydon :-)
Post a Comment