Friday, March 7, 2008

A threat to Homeschooling

There has been a serious attack on home-schooling this past month in California. In a case involving home-schoolers, California courts have ruled that it is illegal to home-school in California, unless the parent is a certified teacher. 

Because this case involves a minor, it has been legally under-wraps and it is only at this point, when the California Court of Appeals has upheld the decision, that the Home-school Legal Defense Association has heard of and begun to be involved in the case. 

This decision has been appealed (again) to the California Supreme Court, where hopefully with the best home-school lawyers in the business, it will gain a reversal.

If this ruling stands, every court in California will be obliged to uphold it with every home-school case that is brought before them.  

This is a BIG deal. 

So, what can we do in the Evergreen State to help our fellow home-schoolers in California?
First of all, we must pray for both the homeschools under trial, and the judges that will be reviewing the case that they would (A) accept and allow the case to be heard in the California Supreme Court and (B) rule in the homeschooler's favor. It is important for Christians to tap into the power of prayer "without ceasing" as Paul has challenged us. 

Secondly, there is a petition out concerning this case that you can access here: 
I would urge you to not only have everyone in your family sign this, but to forward and pass it on to anybody and everybody that you know that might have an interest in this very important case. 

Finally, I would encourage you all to not fear, for the Lord is in control over all.

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
John 14:27

The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD;
         He turns it wherever He wishes. 
Prov. 21:1

 "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you."
Duet. 31:6

2 comments:

Graydon L said...

I just heard about that court ruling a few days ago, It's horible! I guess I figured this sort of thing might happen some time, but you're always surpised when they do. That's really too bad, I hope the homeschoolers win this next hearing.

-Graydon :-)

Melissa said...

There is a loop-hole though !! The law says basically if your child is mentally gifted you may home school them without a degree blah blah blah, legislature at it's best ! :) Also the minor involved is the one suing the state because they don't want to be homeschooled ! Isn't that nice ?!