Monday, April 14, 2008

Book Review: The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus

Name: The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation
of the Evidence for Jesus
Author: Lee Strobel
Copyright: 1998
Length: App. 300 pages.
Rating: Five out of Five stars.

When I was at TeenPact, one of our speakers recommended the book:
The Case for a Creator also by this author. As I was reading the book,
he mentioned that it was actually the third and last book in a series 
of books, starting with 'The Case for Christ'.

I got it and started reading, and was immediately impressed by 
the author's story of how he was educated as an atheistic top-notch
journalist that believed that Jesus was just a legendary figure. 
But after his wife became a Christian, he decided to study Christianity 
and prove it wrong. Rather unsurprisingly, twenty-one months later
he became a Christian and decided to share what he had discovered i
n a series of books.

Probably the most powerful thing about this book is that it is able to
communicate high end apologetic theories at a very clear, layman's 
level. You don't have to work to understand this book, not that's a 
bad thing.

Questions answered by this book include:
Did Jesus actually exist?
Are the accounts we read about him accurate?
Was the New Testament tainted by legend and mistakes in copying?
Did Jesus actually die on the cross?
Did Jesus fulfill the qualifications of the Messiah through his life?
Is there evidence for biblical truths in other ancient sources?
And many others.......

I would very highly reccomend this book for anyone wanting to gain 
a better understanding of how to defend what they believe.

Lee Strobel takes his case to the point where it is impossible to say
"I don't believe Christianity is true because the evidence isn't there". 
You have to say "I don't believe Christianity is true because I don't 
want to believe the evidence that is there". 

It really takes less faith to believe that Christ lived, died, and rose
than to believe that he didn't.

Five stars for 'The Case for Christ'.

1 comments:

Graydon L said...

I think we have that book, I'll have to try and find it!

-Graydon :-)